[G4] Dual 450 Processors

sr ferenczy srf7425 at rit.edu
Sat Feb 7 07:10:59 PST 2004

On Feb 7, 2004, at 8:15 AM, Alex wrote:

> On Saturday, Feb 7, 2004, at 01:12 Canada/Eastern, Donald O'Donovan
> wrote:
>
>> in running the Dual Box will the two processors combine to make 900,
>> thus meeting and exceeding the 500 requirement, or is only one
>> operative?
>
> Dream on. (Translation: No.)

Actually the above is exactly what SMP (dual processing) allows for.
yes it is not perfect-there is a lot of overhead, but it is built in to
os x and also built in to some applications and i believe that i
remember testing that showed dual 500s running on par with a 867.....

>> In other words, can I run Duo Box with this Mac as-is?
>
> Probably not. You could always try...

many software "minimum requirements" are never really checked by the
software, thus even a 450 may run the given software (yes some
applications do check the system setup, but many do not) so give it a
shot!

otherwise, the upgrade path is a great one (as mentioned before)

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?
model=158&type=Processor&TI=%23TimeFormat%28Now%28%29%2C+&shoupgrds=Show
+Upgrades

single processor upgrades @ 700 mhz starting at US$190, dual 1.2 ghz
starting around $900

sandor