[G4] Dual 450 Processors

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Sat Feb 7 15:53:12 PST 2004

On Saturday, Feb 7, 2004, at 08:22 Canada/Eastern, Roger Harris wrote:

> If you are running OSX the two 450s are more than 450.

Even under the old Mac OS, which had limited multiprocessing support,
two processors provided more performance than one. (The shining example
was -- I'm not sure if I remember exactly the name of the machine --
the Daystar Genesis.) That's quite different, however from 450+450=900.

> If the application is also dual processor aware you are even better
> off.

Under OS X it is not necessary for an application to be "aware of"
(actually, "written for") the dual processors to benefit from their
presence. However, it is quite true that an application must be native
and multithreaded to benefit fully.

> When these folk say it does not support accelerator cards they are
> referring to older non-G4s that are accelerated (beige PCI Macs and
> G3s). These older Macs have slower buses and do not have built-in USB
> and Firewire.

Do you know the application the original poster had in mind, or is this
an assumption? Note that most G3s came with built-in USB and FireWire.