[G4] Dual 450 Processors

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Sat Feb 7 15:59:20 PST 2004

On Saturday, Feb 7, 2004, at 10:10 Canada/Eastern, sr ferenczy wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2004, at 8:15 AM, Alex wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, Feb 7, 2004, at 01:12 Canada/Eastern, Donald O'Donovan
>> wrote:
>>
>>> in running the Dual Box will the two processors combine to make 900
>>> [...]
>> Dream on. (Translation: No.)
>>
> Actually the above is exactly what SMP (dual processing) allows for.
> [...]

Do you have a reference where SMP is described in those terms (two
450MHz to combine to make 900Mhz)?

For a description of SMP I would recommmend

<http://www.thebusinessmac.com/features/smp.shtml>

> i remember testing that showed dual 500s running on par with a 867....

For links to test results see
<http://www.lowendmac.com/macdan/03/0324dk.html>. Note the extent to
which the results vary depending on application, and the author's
conclusion.

>>> In other words, can I run Duo Box with this Mac as-is?
>>
>> Probably not. You could always try...
>>
> [...] give it a shot! [...]

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. If you do try, Donald,
please remember to let us know how it worked (or not).