[G4] Dual 450 Processors

sr ferenczy srf7425 at rit.edu
Sun Feb 8 06:04:51 PST 2004

actually, if an application is not programmed to take advantage of
having multiple threads, even os x cannot distribute the task to a
different processor. though if there is 2 non-aware apps running, the
os can farm the two threads off on different processors, making things
quicker.

basically, a thread is a task, MP aware apps use many threads, allowing
the OS to farm these threads out to whatever processor is more idle. in
non-aware apps, the OS only receives one thread, thus it can only use
one processor for that app (though it can still switch that thread to
the other processor) (think of a manager farming tasks out to multiple
workers-MP aware v. MP non-aware would be a 10 page project broken down
into 5 2 page sections v. a 10 page project stapled together as one
whole section.

i always take tests with a grain of salt (my real world experience is
all i worry about) but the following shows a DP mac performing tasks in
roughly 1/2 the time it took a SP mac of the same speed (for MP aware
apps) and non-MP aware apps running just slightly quicker.  i dont
think a 2x improvement in speed is normal or should be expected, but a
mature SMP OS should be able to get 70-80% of the theoretical
"doubling" of processor power with no problem. Heck, the VT G5 cluster
gets around 60% of the theoretical output, and they have 2200
processors (think of the over head on that)

http://barefeats.com/pm1000.html

sandor