[G4] General OS Craziness w/Two machines

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Wed Feb 11 06:47:16 PST 2004

At 08:29 -0500 2/11/04, Anne Keller-Smith wrote:
>Was thinking if I buy a new laptop I should erase 10.3 and install
>10.2 and then make sure the two always move in tandem. But that
>seems, well, crazy too.

That's probably a bad idea. New machines often will not operate without at least the system in vogue when they were delivered. zB A G5 will not operate without at least 10.2.7 which was created just for it.

>And I would tend to not upgrade a machine that is working really
>well - unless I am getting behind or can't run a new program.
>
>What do you all do?

Mac SE/30 - OS 7.5.3  in  use as a file server.

Mac IIFX - OS 7.5.3  in use because it has serial ports that I must have for cross assembler work with MPW. The 68k microprocessor makes that a lot easier.

Mac 8500 with G3 upgrade - OS 9.1.1  Mail, M$ Excel for finances. My workhorse.

Mac G4 - OS 10.3.2 - Mostly a toy for web surfing with Safari and trying out ANSI C techniques. A great development environment for stuff that is headed for regular use on an Intel box running Linux. The G4 is attempting a dual boot using Yellow Dog Linux but there are problems with multiple monitors. 10.3.2 is comfortable.

Some others, 5500, 5260, 6400 in various stages of disassembly running OS 8.5.1 and 8.6. They will go to less fortunate kids in local schools. And, yes, a Mac 128 that I still can't get connected using AppleTalk, OS 1.

It's not so bad and it often makes you long for those nice features that disappeared when Steve "buried" OS 9. Latin was my hardest course in high school but  with a half dozen versions of Linux added to the list I'm feeling quite multilingual. Windoze is my hardest subject and I don't do the homework.

--
-->  There are 10 kinds of people:  those who understand binary, and those who don't <--