[G4] Preparing to migrate to G4 MDD

Joe Ellis jellis at gdeb.com
Mon Feb 23 06:34:33 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven" <steven at sifre.nl>
To: "Power Macintosh G4 List" <G4 at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2004 1:04 PM
Subject: [G4] Preparing to migrate to G4 MDD

> Hello all,
> I'm new to this list and soon I will be new to using a G4 Mac.
> I ordered a G4 Dual 1.25GHz Mac which will arrive in a week or two.
>
> I have a couple of questions while anticipating the migration.
> My old Mac has a SCSI drive that contains my user directory.
> I have to move this to the new G4. I was thinking of installing the
> drive into the G4. The question I have is does the SCSI card (Adaptec
> 2940U2B) of the old mac work in the new one? The card originally came
> from a Blue & White I believe. Is it safe to just try it? Do Blue and
> White and G4 MDD Macs have the same kind of PCI slots?

While I can't say for sure regarding your SCSI card; I would add a word of
warning about how you mount it. I made the mistake of mounting my old SCSI
drive from my old machine into my new Quicksilver G4 a couple of years ago.
The mount for the original ATA that came with it seemed ideal for mounting
the old SCSI above it, thereby saving me the trouble of moving the old drive
mount. Unfortunately these new high speed ATA drives generate quite a bit of
heat and I ended up frying my old drive.
So a word of warning; mount your SCSI drive seperately from your ATA drives.
Strangely enough, mounting 2 ATAs one above the other doesn't seem to cause
problems. I replaced my old SCSI with another ATA and both have been working
well for over 2 years.

Joe Ellis