[G4] G4 acting up

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Wed Feb 25 09:51:44 PST 2004

On 02/24/04,  "zhmmy harper" <zhmmy at hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 24, 2004, at 08:25 AM, Power Macintosh G4 List wrote:
>>I have just begun to have some weird issues with my G4/400.  It
>>started with my display settings getting lost when I start it up.
>>Today, the whole display profile that I set up  was gone as well as
>>the monitor that I use.  It wasn't listed in the display preferences.
>>Also, the Pioneer DVD burner that I installed last week has been
>>inconsistent ejecting CD's.  When I push the eject button on the
>>keyboard, the cd is unmounted from the desktop, but the DVD rom
>>doesn't spit it out.  When that happens, I can check it in the device
>>manager and it shows up as not being supported for burning.  I can
>>restart it and get it to work.  It even shows up as fully supported.
>
> OS9 had some terrible bugs.  OS9.0.4 corrected most of those but still had
> stability problems.  OS9.1 was the best until 9.2.1, which I still believe
> is Apple's most complete and most stable system.

Interestingly enough, OS 9.2.2 has been installed on my G4, 450 MP, 1.5 GB
RAM, along with OS X, for over two years and I haven't seen these problems.
For me, 9.2.2 is the stablest OS 9+ incarnation, given that your RAM meets
Apple's stringent requirements. Currently running OS X 10.3.2, along with
OS 9.2.2.