[G4] OS 9.2.1

Steven steven at sifre.nl
Fri Feb 27 16:12:07 PST 2004

christine cano wrote:

>  I have wanted to go back to 9.2.1 on one partition of my G4 but was told
> that my 2003 dual boot mirror door G4 will not boot in anything older than
> the 9.2.2 that was installed with it.
>
> Is this really true, or does anyone have 9.2.1 installed on a new G4 mirror
> door. I have a lot of instability with 9.2.2, but l enjoy working on OS 9
> better than jaguar (no offense), not to mention the expense I have saved on
> software by still using 9.
>
> I tried removing the 3 "Classic" extensions as had been suggested to me, and
> didn't see an improvement.

If you buy a G4 MDD 2003 there apparently is no way to install a
different version (a different language version for instance) of Mac OS
9 on it than the one that came with it. This is because Apple ships this
hardware with restore disks that are different from retail Mac OS 9
install disks (even if they are the same version number) and Apple
refuses to sell these restore disks separately. So if you buy such a Mac
you are stuck with the language version you buy:-(

Because I figured I could install an english Mac OS 9 myself from a
retail CD I ordered a G4 in the basic (dutch) configuration (I was told
options meant delay). This Mac is on its way now but hasn't yet arrived.
Now I found out this was going to be a problem..  So now I have the
choice: cancel the order and order an english version G4 and have even
more delay or be stuck with a language version I don't want. Thanks Apple!

Or does anyone see a easier/quicker way out? My intention is to have an
international english dual boot G4 with proper/legal Mac OS 9 restore
disks. Any suggestions are welcome,

Steven

steven at sifre.nl