Ipod Story

Franck lazare at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 3 16:44:41 PST 2004

In the spirit of full disclosure, following is the Neismat brothers
point of view, which is posted at the top of the page I sent earlier.

Two comments:  1) You guys thought that a (untold) $250 battery
replacement was acceptable?  for an Ipod? for a car? for a PC?
2) What happened to the "think different " spirit?  Theses guys love
their Ipod and their Mac.  They make music and film with it.  As good
consumers, they felt they were being taken for a ride by Apple, and
they resolved the issue the Apple way: creatively.  In the end, we
Apple consumers won: Apple offers a $99  battery replacement.

Long live the independent spirit!

December 23, 2003 - The Neistat Brothers are in no way affiliated with
   the pending class action against Apple Computer, Inc. or the law firm
of Girard    Gibbs & De Bartolomeo LLP. The Neistat Brothers are not
partaking in the    potential suit nor are they supporting it.

Our Message:

In September of 2003 the battery in my first generation ipod would hold
a charge    for no longer than one hour. I brought the iPod into the
Apple store in Manhattan    for repair and was told they do not
currently offer a battery replacement program    and my best option was
to buy a new ipod. I then called the Apple Care 800 number    regarding
this issue and was told the same. I then sent my ipod to the Apple
Executive office addressed to Steve Jobs with a note explaining my
situation    and requesting a replacement battery. The Apple Executive
office contacted me    via telephone to explain that Apple does not
repair or replace dead ipod batteries    and that it was policy of the
company to recommend to the customer to purchase    a new ipod when the
battery fails. I then looked into and purchased a third    party
replacement battery , this battery was not endorsed by Apple. After
the complicated installation my ipod did not work at all, even when it
was plugged    in. I then purchased a new ipod for $400.00.

Dirty    Secret" After we finished production of the film, but not
necessarily in    response to it, Apple began offerring a battery
replacement program for the ipod for a fee of $99 and an extended
warranty for the ipod for $59.

We think Apple's new policy is fair. Our movie is a documentation of
our experience.

-Casey Neistat