[G4] Ipod Story

sr ferenczy srf7425 at rit.edu
Sat Jan 3 17:28:47 PST 2004

there has been 3rd party replacement batteries for the ipod for a while
now (much longer than apple's service) and most are about 1/2 the price
of the fruit.

"They agreed to provide this information, and said they had no problem
telling users how to solve the problem. I, in turn, provided webspace
and bandwidth for them. The bottom line: after two days of lies and
false starts, and milking my institution's generosity by providing
almost 100,000 downloads and 0.7 terabytes of data transfer, they NEVER
posted any information about how to solve the problem that they
promised to post. Their agenda seems clear, and that's sensationalism,
melodrama, and attention. The full email exchange is here:"

http://das.doit.wisc.edu/neistatoriginal.txt

that quote from the guy at u of wisconsin's it department that
originally hosted the website pretty much says it all. these guys were
out for their 15 minutes and a bit of sensationalism. there were other
options, and they chose not to explore them. as for apple's pricing on
repairs-well, its the same reason i dont take my car back to the VW
dealer after the warranty is up - 2-3x going rate for labor, then about
4x markup on parts. not to mention the price v-tech wanted to charge me
for a replacement battery for my cordless phone-i could have bought 2
new phones for it (lucky for radio shack)....

being "creative" would have been posting the video and demoing
self-replacement of the battery.

my 2 bits
sandor