[G4] Panther upgrade

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Sun Jan 4 12:32:28 PST 2004

At 22:56 -0800 1/3/04, Perry The Cynic wrote:
>In general: lighten up.

I do feel better this morning.  Panther will get installed.

With regard to case sensitivity I am told that, I can do it if Panther is running. I don't know if I can do it to the disk on which I intend to install while booted from the CD-ROM. Will Terminal work from there?

>Beginning with 10.3, there's a new option when formatting a disk to create a case-sensitive HFS+ volume.  It's only officially supported on Mac OS X server, but should work on consumer-grade Mac OS X.  However there's no GUI tool to get this without using server.
>
>You can't convert an existing HFS+ file system to be case-sensitive, as far as I can tell.  But Apple's command-line tools hdiutil and newfs_hfs have new options to specify case-sensitivity with HFS+.  It looks like hdiutil will require journaling with case sensitivity, but that newfs_hfs will not.

My main use for the G4 is UNIX and case sensitivity will make what I do more compatible with other machines to which I upload perl scripts and the like.

I do want to do a clean install. If nothing else it will force me to review those custom hacks one at a time. I'm also told that under Panther a UNIX executable can be started up from the Finder. I may not need the AppleScript glue I now use to get them run at login time. But I worry that I will get a Terminal session that will require manual intervention as though I had appended a .command extension to the file name.

Thanks for the hand-holding.  And I wish I could write like Mr. Clancy.

Doug

--

Applescript syntax is like English spelling:
Roughly, but not thoroughly, thought through.