[G4] 733mhz G4 Loudish Fan

Charles Turner turnercl at missouri.edu
Sun Jan 4 12:33:12 PST 2004

On Jan 4, 2004, at 12:59 PM, Power Macintosh G4 List wrote:

> Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 12:39:39 -0500
> From: Anne Keller-Smith <earthpigz at earthlink.net>
> Subject: [G4] 733mhz G4 Loudish Fan
>
> 1. Is there a device that I can buy at Sears to measure decibels,
> so I can track the loudness for awhile?

Don't know about Sears. Radio Shack has a "Digital-Display Sound-Level
Meter" Catalog # 33-2055 for about $50. Here's their www page for that:

<http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?
catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=33-2055>

> 2. How loud are y'all's fans for various models?

I have the G4/733 and its steady whoosh of fan noise is louder than I
would like, although I've become used to it. I also have a newer dual
G4/867 MDD (a.k.a. "the wind tunnel"). The MDD machine, before I
replaced its power supply and CPU fan using Apple's replacement kit,
was unacceptably noisy to me. Now it is much better, thankfully.

That MDD G4 has had three annoyances, all of which needed or still need
my hands-on get inside the box attention. One was the aforementioned
power supply replacement. Next week I'll install a second HD, not for
the extra capacity per se but for backups, some insurance against
failure of the original HD which has been behaving suspiciously. Lastly
the CD-combo drive needs a firmware update to fix a DAO burning bug.
Unfortunately the only way available to me to handle that would be to
remove the drive, install it in a PC, run Phillip's PC update program,
and finally reinstall the drive in the MDD Mac. I've tried but failed
to get any help from Apple for this problem.

-ct