[G4] AAC car stereo and mp3

Daniel Brieck djbrieck at mac.com
Mon Jan 5 16:38:37 PST 2004

No Go with the Philips EXP 301

> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-to-external-url/=20
> ref=3Dmt_mo_view_5514/102-5397566-6820102?path=3Dhttp://images.amazon.co=
m/=20
> media/i3d/01/MANUAL000007100.pdf&append-uid=3Dno

The product still will not play an Apple AAC  .m4p file. Look in the =20
.pdf manual below and on page 12 you will see this: "How to make a =20
CD-ROM with MP3 or AAC files Record (=B3burn=B2) the music files from =
your =20
harddisc on a CD-ROM  with your computer s CD burner. Make sure the =20
file names of the MP3 and AAC files end with .mp3  and .aac =20
respectively."

So this means that it will not work. Why does apple even call it AAC =20
when obviously it is not the same standard because the file extensions =20=

are different. .m4p (Apples Standard), not .aac( AAC standard) . Should =20=

be more like 'Apple Audio Codec', for Apple to call it  (Advanced Audio =20=

Codec) is misleading, am i wrong?

Also even if playing .m4p files was possible how would  one go about =20
getting their songs to play on a AAC: MPEG-4 compatible CD player. I =20
think something like this would require more than a firmware update to =20=

support apples AAC, so current firmware upgradeable CD/ MP3 players are =20=

probably out of the question. There is no internet connection, no =20
computer link, no source of input to verify who is playing the file.

Dan Brieck Jr.