no printer listed in Photoshop??

Shannon Nugent shannon at nuge.com
Mon Jan 5 22:35:34 PST 2004

I'm having quite a weird problem right now and I don't know where it is
stemming from.  I hope someone can help.

My problem is that when I go to print something out in Photoshop 7
there is no printer available to select.  I've got an EpsonStylus 740
that is purring along just fine but sometime in the last two weeks
Photoshop decided it didn't wanna play with my printer.  Usually you
just set up the printout the way you want it and then go to file->print
and bata bing bata boom out comes your photo.  But now,  it don't work
that way.  Now I don't even have the option of selecting my printer
from the drop down printer menu.  And as many times as I select "edit
printer list" and make my printer the default it still doesn't show up
in Photshop!!!!!!

The funny thing is though that I made a bootable backup of my main
drive on my new secondary drive (used for backup purposes) and I don't
seem to have any problem running the backup copy and printing.  I just
open Photoshop 7 from my Maxtor1 backup drive, try to print out a
photo, and my printer is recognized (or loaded) nearly immediately!!!!
It seems to me that some essential file on my main drive got busted or
infected or something within the last two weeks since the backup and I
have no clue how to fix this.  I tried copying over some
Photoshop/Adobe related folders from the backup drive bak to the main
drive,  installing Photoshop 7 again,  and running some diagnostics,
but nothing seems to work.  I did run a copy of Norton Utilities v. 6,
but it found some major errors.  That doesn't have a good reputation
and I don't understand the errors so I didn't fix any of them.

Anybody have any insight on this?  Thanks!!!!!
P.S.  Graphic Converter recognizes my printer,  and so do a couple
other apps.