Images D/L on desktop

barry sjmug at mac.com
Tue Jan 20 00:32:41 PST 2004

>>> Is there any way to keep images from downloading on my desktop from junk
>>>email?

>>1.  open your mail online at http: or https://www.mail2web.com .

> I use an old version of Eudora Pro that only receives text email. It does
> no html email.

i don't use eudora so i can't answer why you're getting .gifs if it
supposedly only does TEXT mail.

> I don't think I can use web mail because I am on many lists and need
> messages filtered to make sense of them. I may get 300 messages in one day,
> not counting spam.

you can, but again it's a 2 step process.  go to mail2web.com every few
hours and delete the spam.  then immediately download your mail as usual to
eudora.  when you view your mail online at mail2web it remains on your ISP's
server as unread.  therefore, after deleting the spam at mail2web, your new
(spamless) email will download as usual in eudora, as unread, even if you
read it on mail2web!  don't bother to read your good mail, such as list
messages, at mail2web if you need a filter 'to make sense'.  wait til eudora
as usual.

does checking mail at mail2web mean that you won't be notified in real time
that a new email has arrived?  yep.  that's the tradeoff for deleting spam
off the web rather than off your harddrive.  therefore, i always keep a
mail2web sign in webpage open (actually, windowshaded closed), prefilled in
with email address and password, after i logout of a mail2web session.
later, when ready to check mail2web for new email, i just click on 'check
email'.

if eudora is set up to delete message from your ISP's server upon
downloading to your Mac, it will continue to do so, regardless of your use
of mail2web.  for example.  since your last new mail download to eudora
you've received 75 new emails, which you discover at mail2web.  you delete
the spam and any other message you would normally delete from within eudora.
let's say you delete 35 at mail2web, leaving 40.  open eudora, which will
find 40 new unread emails, and download them to your Mac, using your eudora
filters as usual.  no spam downloaded.  repeat every few hours as necessary.

if you've told eudora to keep your mail on the server after downloading, it
will continue to do so, regardless of your use of mail2web.  the method you
use to delete saved mail off the server will remain the same, altho deleting
your good mail off the server via mail2web will now be an alternative method
for you.

when you delete mail from mail2web, it deletes the mail off your ISP's
server, for good.  the deleted messages are NOT simply moved to a Trash
folder for a later emptying, as in yahoo mail and other online email
providers, or as in some email software, such as outlook express.

mail2web will time out after X minutes of non-use, so if you place a
checkmark next to a lot of messages to be deleted, delete those messages and
return to the list and continue checking mail.  i usually delete about 5-10
at a time, to avoid the dreaded 'you have timed out, please login again'
message.  when that message pops up, any messages you have checked for
deletion but not deleted will remain, and upon logging in again you'll have
to go back and recheck those messages.  no big deal, but it's a nuisance.

let us know if this helps.

--barry
http://www.NationwideCashFlowSolutions.com
alternative financing options for U.S.
businesses, professionals, individuals, & non-profit organizations