G4/400 dual monitor support

csean at poc.it csean at poc.it
Mon Jan 19 23:02:29 PST 2004

on 19/01/2004 14:18, Power Macintosh G4 List at G4 at lists.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

>> Hi, I have a G4 400 running 9.2.2 and 10.2.8.  I was wondering what
>> would be the cheapest AGP card I could get that would allow me to run
>> dual monitors?  All my PCI slots are full so I can't add a video card
>> there.  Right now I have the stock rage 16mb card in.  Any help would be
>> greatly appreciated.
>
> Take a look at the ATI Radeon 7000 Mac edition. It's selling new
> for $106 - $110 (Buy.com, MacConnection, &c.). Make certain you get
> the "Mac Edition" and not the cheaper (sigh) PC version, unless you
> have a friend with a PC and feel like trying to modify the firmware.
> If you go to eBay, be careful of the "64 Mbyte Mac ATI Radeon 7000"
> items for sale --- at least some of them are firmware-modified PC
> cards, and only support a single monitor, if the images in the
> listings are accurate. The real item should have DVI, VGA, and
> S-video outputs.

The Radeon 7000 is, IIRC, only in PCI, but the poster is looking for AGP.
There are some 7000 AGP's advertised on ebay, but I think they are all PC
cards reflashed with Mac firmware - and I don't know how well they work.

The best (only? cheapest?) dual monitor card for the G4/400 "Sawtooth" (not
"Gigabyte Ethernet") is the Radeon 8500 with DVI and VGA ports.

The Sawtooth cannot use the ADC port, so no cards with one will give dual
monitor support. Thus the Radeon 8500 - either original Mac version or
reflashed PC version - is the best card. Currently around $140 on ebay for
the Mac version.

Good luck.

Chris