[G4] speaker set for digital audio 533?

lavode at comcast.net lavode at comcast.net
Tue Jan 20 08:44:42 PST 2004

The best set of speakers for under $100 was a 2.1 system from Cambridge Soundworks for $50.  They no longer make that, but if you can find it, the sub is rich and has its own volume control, and the overall sound quality is amazing for a set of $50 speakers.  Otherwise, $100 is where the decent stuff starts (IMHO).  At that price, you can get a 5.1 set, though I don't recommend the Harman Kardon set, as they seem to not be very durable.  The set I use for my replacement stereo Amp/Speakers is an Altec Lansing 6.1, with seperate controls for the sub, mid, and master volume.  If you don't need total control over volume, you might be able to save some money with lower versions of the Altec Lansing.  I notice that they start around $25 for a 2.1, but I have no idea how it sounds.

I strongly recommend visiting a store that has the speakers on display (Fry's or CompUSA or something like that), because hearing makes all the difference.  Otherwise, everything looks the same.

HTH,
Lavode