Aliases, DropObliter and Disappearing Files

Anne Keller-Smith earthpigz at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 20 17:43:35 PST 2004

Hi all -

Maybe I finally have some information for some of you -

It would seem DropObliter8 is the culprit behind my massive loss
of data. Fortunately, all was backed up on the external hard drive,
so I haven't lost anything really but my SANITY.

Deleting an alias SHOULD NOT delete the files it points to.

Whoever wrote DropObliter ought to tell people how dangerous
this utility can be. Probably it's powerful - but it should not
be used by amateurs such as myself. It should have warnings
all over it.

What happens is whatever shell script DropObliter uses will
delete the files aliases point to if you delete the alias. Yikes!
I had no idea! This from Versiontracker:

Anne Keller Smith
Down to Earth Web Design
G4 733mHz (OS X.2/Classic) | Graphite iBook 333mHz (OS 9.0.2)
mailto:earthpigz at earthlink.net
http://www.downtoearthweb.com