[G4] G4-400 AGP upgrade options

gary usww garyusww at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 20 18:06:02 PST 2004

You may want to take a look at the latest MacAddict
magazine (Feb), which has a section on upgrading.
They note that maxing out your ram is the most
cost-effective way to speed up your system.  There's a
chart comparing a Sawtooth 3 ways: stock, w/a 550
upgrade card, and with a 1.4 gig card.  The chart
shows the 3 variations with 256 megs, 512 megs and 1
gig of ram, and the stock machine with 1 gig of ram
processed Photoshop files faster than the 1.4 gig
upgrade with 512 meg of ram.  A 512 meg clip of ram
runs about $100 right now, far cheaper than a
processor upgrade.  If you aren't up against the ram
ceiling yet, consider that.

Gary

--- Chris Smolinski <csmolinski at blackcatsystems.com>