Mac or PC Radeon 8500 card?

csean at poc.it csean at poc.it
Wed Jan 21 06:11:48 PST 2004

Hi all,
Speaking of G4 upgrades...
I just got my Radeon 8500 Mac Edition, which I'm putting in my G4/350
Sawtooth together with a Sonnet G4/1 Ghz; got both upgrades at good prices
on ebay.

As I was installing the Radeon, a thought hit me: is there any way to tell
the difference between the Mac and PC Radeon 8500?
I have no reason to mistrust the ebay seller, but given how many PC Radeon
8500s were sold and how easy it is to flash them for Mac....

Just thinking out loud here. But is there any way to look at the cards and
tell if one is really an original Mac Edition card?

It shows up in ASP in both 9 and Jaguar as a 64MB ATI, of course, and seems
to work fine.

Thanks,

Chris