[G4] Help! Dead built in ethernet on G4 450DP?

sr ferenczy srf7425 at rit.edu
Thu Jan 22 18:00:20 PST 2004

sorry for only dishing half the info...  and i have some more tests...

open the application "IORegistryExplorer"

click on "IODeviceTree"
click on "Root"
clikc on "device-tree"
click on "pci at f4000000"  (maybe be another "pci at fxxxxxxx)
click on "ethernet at f"
click on "ethernet-phy"

if all that comes up, the system "sees" an ethernet port, so the port's
controller chip isnt dead.

on to more thoughts...

if this all checks out kosher so far... do a "look-see" of the ethernet
port. look inside the port on the back of your mac, make sure all 8? of
the pins are in there, parallel, and looking unadulterated.

also, does your modem have an "ethernet" light? mine does, when it
senses a live ethernet connection, it lights up. if yours does and it
lights up, its not the port.

finally, try to get a hold of a hub, switch, router, some other
ethernet device that you can hook up to your mac to see if it
communicates with it.

....scratching my head...

sandor