[G4] Apple mail

Lavode lavode at comcast.net
Sat Jan 24 15:29:48 PST 2004

> I've been using netscape mail for years and am now trying to use
> Apple's mail. I can't believe how much difficulty adjusting has been
> but one thing that I find missing is the 'next' button.

I came off Mozilla Mail, and had the same problem.

> How do I move to the next email without deleting the one I just read?
> is there a key command I can use?

If you're like me, and are afraid of the preview pain, then we're stuck
with hitting cmd-w, arrow down, enter.

> I really liked that I could open an email in Netscape in its own
> window and then delete it where the next email automatically opened or
> I could hit the 'next' button in the tool list and it would leave the
> previous email in my mailbox and open the next new message.

Ah, the good ol' days.  Most of the time, I just hit backspace from the
mail (I don't save the G4 list messages, but don't tell anyone), and it
will automatically delete the message and open the next mail.

> The jumping between mouse and keyboard is annoying and slows down my
> email reading.

Ya.  It's cumbersome, which a Mac shouldn't be.  It's a Lemming POV to
just "Suck it up."

I just got a Logitech Wireless Access Keyboard for $40 from Fry's (I
know, I know).  Anyway, it has these 4 buttons on it: "New, Reply,
Forward, Send."  In the Logitech Control Center, I have programmed
these for the commands in Mail, so I have less jumping between keyboard
and mouse than before.  Expensive solution that doesn't fix all the
problems, but the moral of the story is that you should be able to use
key commands for pretty much everything in Mail.  If you can do macros,
or programming those all-too-useful F-Keys on your top row, I'm sure
you can get back up to speed on Apple's program.  Good luck, and keep
me informed if you have any breakthroughs.

HTH,
-Lavode