Adobe Creative Suite Installer crashes

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Sun Jan 25 16:31:48 PST 2004

Computer is a dual 1 GHz G4 mirrored doors (first generation, with the
fan/power supply replacement installed). I'm running Panther (10.3.2, with
all updates installed.

I posted a question earlier about this problem. I've done a bit of
investigating but haven't resolved the issue. I think there's something
significantly wrong with the totality of software on the boot drive. There's
one other problem that makes me think this, namely that an innocent TextEdit
file makes ITS parent application crash-quit. It's the ReadMe from the
DiskWarrior 3.0 CD, and the same file can be read by TextEdit on my Al-15
PB.

I made a clone of my boot drive with CCC 2.3. The clone performs just as did
its original (both the Adobe Creative Suite installer and TextEdit crash as
described earlier). I've replaced the boot drive's directory using
DiskWarrior 3.0. This didn't help either.

My next option (groan) is to re-install EVERYTHING from scratch onto the
mirrored door G4's boot drive. There are a few other reasons to do this
(such as correcting allocation of licensed software on my network so that
everyone will have a properly licensed copy of everything we use - I used
the wrong serial numbers in two instances, so that sometimes one or another
user on our LAN is denied access to Office or to Virtual PC. However, this
is obviously a Herculian task and I've put up with inconvenience for quite
some time because of it.

The one remaining thought I had is that perhaps I have a corrupt font that
is causing this. I have Suitcase X installed on the boot drive. Is there any
likelihood that examining all my fonts might help?

Any other suggestions?

Jim Robertson