[G4] Re-partition partly

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Wed Jan 28 12:00:37 PST 2004

On 01/27/04, "Andrew T. Lynch" <atlynch at mac.com> wrote:

> Does this make a bootable copy?
>
> On Jan 27, 2004, at 7:06 AM, Video International wrote:
>> There's not an easy way that I'm aware of.
>>
>> You can use Panther's Disk Utility to back up your partitions to
>> another drive by making disk images of them (make compressed versions
>> as you're low on space).

>From Disk Utility's Help:

Creating a disk image to restore from

You can use Disk Utility, located in Applications/Utilities, to create a
disk image of an existing folder, then use that disk image to restore
another disk or create copies of the information in the disk image.

 Disk images are typically used by system administrators to restore
software on more than one computer. For example, if you administer a lab of
student computers, you could use a disk image to restore each computer to
its original state on a regular basis.

	1. 	 Create a folder that contains the contents you want to restore
(folders, software, and so on).
	2. 	 Open Disk Utility and choose Images > New > "Image from Folder."
	3. 	 Locate and select the folder you set up.
	4. 	 Type a name for the disk image and choose where you want to save it.
	5. 	 Choose a size and method of encryption from the pop-up menus.
	6. 	 Choose Read Only from the Format pop-up menu.
	7. 	 Click Create.
	8. 	 Drag the new disk image to the Disk Utility window and select it.
	9. 	 Choose Images > Scan Image for Restore.

 You can find detailed information about creating a restore disk in the
Apple Software Restore (ASR) manual (man) page. Open Terminal (in
Applications/Utilities) and type: man asr, then press Return.