[G4] Pioneer 107 and DVD media question

Mel Krewall mkrewall at mac.com
Sat Jan 31 07:51:54 PST 2004

>> I've read that in OS X you cane use DVDBackup to copy a DVD video to
>> the
>> hard disc, then compress it to fit on a DVD-R/W using DVD2oneX, then
>> burn it
>> using Toast Titanium 5 (I don't have 6). Can anyone confirm that this
>> works?
>
> In more than one country, the operation you describe is illegal.

In the US (I don't know about Italy) it is legal and is called "Fair
Use". You are allowed to make backup copies of your own media for your
own use. You are not allowed to sell them, of course, but the law does
not limit creating your own copies for your own use. Many other
countries have similar law. This was established when home cassette
players were first being used to make copies and mixes of records and
extended to video when the MPAA challenged the ability to "time-shift"
television programs on VCRs. The RIAA is working mightily to overthrow
this with CD copy protection and things like the Digital Millennium
Copyright Act here in the US, but as the current law stands we are
still allowed to make copies for our own use, regardless of media.
Mel