Speaking of Apple Talk and printer sharing

Todd Porter t.porter at utoronto.ca
Mon Jul 19 04:37:22 PDT 2004

Hi all,

The topic of Apple Talk and printer sharing reminded me of a problem I've
thus far not been able to figure a way around on my home network.  I have a
G4 400, a G3 300AV, a G3 300 powerbook and a Rev A iMac all running 9.2.2
and sharing a cable modem via a router.  I occasionally link them through
AppleTalk to transfer files from one computer to the G3 300AV which has an
HP Laserjet 2100 hooked to it for printing.  The trouble is that the
Laserjet communicates with the computer using Apple Talk so I've thus far
been unable to figure out a way to share the printer with the other
computers.  What I do now is transfer the files, reset Apple Talk from the
ethernet port to the printer port on the 300 AV and print.  Not a HUGE
problem, but a hassle just the same...especially when a couple of people are
trying to work at the same time.

I have tried using a PowerPrint USB to serial adaptor (that had been used in
the past for the iMac) to run the Laserjet as a way around the Apple Talk
problem, but was unable to get satisfactory or reliable printing results or
share the printer.

Any thoughts on a way around this?  Would upgrading to OS X make this
possible, and if so would it still be possible in the Classic environment
(since I won't be able to afford to upgrade software too quickly)?

Thanks and take care,

Todd