How can I share keybaord & mouse between USB & ADB Macs?

Foggy MacUser eudamac at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 26 23:15:40 PDT 2004

I have a spiffy new G4 - well, new to me.  It's a 733
MHz Quicksilver, loaded with Panther, and
unfortunately, running a lot of OS 9.2.2 stuff still.
The budget has to recover from the machine purchase
before I can upgrade Office and so on.  I don't even
want to *think* about the upgrade cost for Photoshop,
since my version (photoshop LE) was discontinued
without any OSX version available, and Adobe advises
there's no upgrade discount.  Hmmm, my just do
without.

Anyway, I still have my old Mac, a PPC 604e/250MHz,
running OS9.0.4 or something a bit newer.  Because it
has SCSI, it's my only machine that can use my
scanner.  So, sometimes I'd like to turn it on and use
it for scanning.  Also, the old machine has sound
input, and the new one seems to have forgotten that
Macs are good for AV, so it does not have a sound
input, and I do a lot of LP transfers.  So you see, I
need the old machine.  However, I do not have desk
space for two keyboards, two mice and two monitors.

So here's the rub.  The monitor is easy to share.  Any
old two-port video switch will do it.  But how can I
get the two machines to share keybaord and mouse?  The
old machine is Apple Desktop Bus and the new one is
USB.  Does someone make a KVM switch for Macs that
fixes exactly this problem?   I'd rather use the OLD
keyboard and mouse (ADB) because, well, to be honest,
the little clear keyboard and mouse that came with the
G4 are awful.  But if I'm stuck with the USB
kbd/mouse, well, that's OK until I can afford better
units.

Any experience before I go searching in the
never-never land of Google?

Thanks!

Foggy MacUser...VERY Foggy actually