[G4] Upgrading to Panther

Ron Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Thu Jul 29 11:56:57 PDT 2004

On Jul 27, 2004, at 6:05 PM, Shawn King wrote:

On 7/27/04 8:01 PM, "Kevin Willis" <res19rmg at verizon.net> wrote:

> I am thinking about upgrading my G4/400 from Jaguar to Panther.  I was
> wondering if it is possible to buy the Panther installation disks and
> use them to upgrade without having to do a new install.  I really don't
> want to go through the process of backing up my system, installing
> Panther, and then trying to put everything in it like I had it in Jag.

Yup - It's a customized option called "Archive and Install". It backs up
your old System Folder and keeps the User data and other important
things
and brings it over to Panther.
----
Shawn

Whoa up for a minute.

The issue here is NOT to perform a new installation, but to perform an
upgrade WITHOUT having to do the new installation.

Doing an "Archive and Install" does indeed make a new installation
which WILL REQUIRE that all old settings, etc., will need to be brought
into the new installation from the "archived" system. It doesn't appear
that this is what is wanted.

To do a simple system version upgrade, insert the installation CD into
the Mac and run the install program. It will recognize the old system
and upgrade it to the version on the CD and it will automatically bring
forward all the old settings into the newer system version. There will
be no need to manually bring all the old data into the new system.

However, sometimes it is advisable to do the "Archive and Install"
option. Especially when there may be some corruption in the old system
that needs to be corrected and/or there is old data that needs to be
preserved.

And, of course, it is always advisable to repair permissions before and
after performing the upgrade installation. Many of my friends repair
permissions on a regular schedule to avoid problems. I do it every
other month on all four of my machines.