Networking & OS X v10.3.4

Snow White jj4 at sympatico.ca
Fri Jun 4 11:16:05 PDT 2004

UMM, he's creating a new user on his computer to access the network
administered by somebody else - right?

He can log in from any user profile on his computer or any other
computer on the network using his original login ID and PassPhrase.
Not sure about OS10.3.4 but in 10.2.x you use the GO menu, CONNECT TO
SERVER, pick you target and LOGIN AS REGISTERED USER. Problem is all
those new users are not registered are they. So use the REGISTERED USER
name and pass that works, with all his various users or on any other
computer on the network and it will connect.  If the extra user IDs on
his computer need to be able to access under a separate account then
the corprate system admin for the server needs to add the new IDs at
the server level.

Heres an example
My login on my computer is CINDY pass K
My server accepts logins from JOE pass J
If I want into the server from another user on my computer or from
another networked computer the server still expects me to login as JOE
pass J.  The server only verifies its own login name and pass, not the
one for your individual computer. The server does not care if you are
CINDY pass K or anything else on your individual system.

Many times admins will create a server login that mirrors your
individual system login for simplicity, but they are separate and can
be different (should be for security).

I hope this helped.

jj