[G4] Key Combo to open an OSX application

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Sat Jun 5 08:23:24 PDT 2004

On Saturday, Jun 5, 2004, at 10:57 Canada/Eastern, Jim Pacyga wrote:

> On 5 Jun 2004, at 07:03, Richard Kriss wrote:
>
>> I recall lifting the hood on an OSX application by going to the
>> Finder and
>> holding down the SHIFT key or something and clicking an application
>> and lets
>> you see what's under the hood.  What is the correct the key
>> combination
>
> If you mean what is in the package of an application, then
> CONTROL-click the application to get the context menu and select "SHOW
> PACKAGE CONTENTS".  Or you can simply crank up Terminal and just go to
> the Applications directory and do an directory listing of whatever
> directory you want within the application's directory.

In Mac OS X, applications can be organized in one of several different
ways. Some are essentially folders (directories) which receive special
treatment from the OS, and keep code and resources in separate files.
You can check those out, as Jim says, with the contextual menu command
or with Terminal. For instance,

$ls -R /Applications/Mail.app/

will give you a listing of the Mail application contents.

However, other applications are organized the old-fashioned way, with
code and resources in one single file; to examine their contents you
need a tool such as ResEdit and HexEdit, or Resorcerer.

<0x0192>