[G4] Liquid Cooled new g5 2.5 ghz

sr ferenczy srf7425 at rit.edu
Wed Jun 9 07:16:58 PDT 2004

On Jun 9, 2004, at 9:59 AM, Steven wrote:

> I thinks so. In a car engine the cylinders are part of one block that
> has to be cooled. I'm not sure if the cooling fluid passes the
> cylinders one after the other (in a series) instead of passing the
> cylinders in parallel at the same time. I would say the latter would
> be possible and preferable. I'd surprise me if it were not done that
> way.

it simply cannot pass them all at the same time, engine orientation
prevents this. take my four cylinder vw for example, coolant flows in
through one end of the straight four, and out at the other end -the
last cylinder HAS to be getting coolant that has already been heat
soaked by the first 3 cylinders in line in the series.  a mass
"parallel" (if even possible) setup would take way too much plumbing,
and would probably end up being far to inefficient in day to day
working.

> Anyway the comparison is not valid i.m.h.o. The processors are two
> separate units whereas the engine is one block.
>
> Steven

why wouldnt the comparison be valid? basically, the point is just to
show that coolant, while getting very hot, still has the capability to
dissipate heat from an even hotter surface, whether it be a microchip
or an engine.

very obviously, highly skilled engineers have set both systems up, and
would not let one end of the loop get "much hotter"  than the other
end. im sure, just like in all other liquid cooled applications, both
the beginning of the series and the end of the series are within
operating specs.

sandor