[G4] Integratng with home stereo

Jim Pacyga jim.pacyga at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 9 07:13:51 PDT 2004

I have used iTunes to manage my 30Gb 500+ cd library for 3 years.  I
have used both the speaker out into an optical Denon amp with Klipsch
speakers as well as a set of USB Sound Sticks.

I have tried MP3 formats for 160k, 192k and 320k, MP3 VBR and AAC 128k.

To be honest I have not heard a major difference.  However, I have
noticed the difference with items encoded using WMA (which I hate) or
MP3 128 or below.

A friend of mine with a Wintel + sound card setup claims his output is
very poor unless he uses 320k, but when he heard my Sound Stick setup
or my speaker out setup with was impressed with the fidelity (we played
the CD v. the rip back to back).

I think it depends on the quality of the hardware (obviously) and
speaker ports are not notorious for low THD and high SNR, but it seems
to work out ok.

As a previous person said - it is all up to the listener - one man's CD
quality is another man's crap.  It takes a $5 patch cable to connect
the Mac to an RCA input pair on a any stereo, give it a shot and try
ripping some good music (that follows all sorts of range and amplitude)
at different rates with different formats and compare them with the CD
in your machine.  It would be at best a few hours and you can be happy
that you have the best setup for your taste.

If you want to go hog wild, get a G5 with its digital out and feed to
an all digital amp and go for broke - that leaves it to just your
source and your speakers...

Jim