[G4] (In)Security

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Sun Jun 13 16:25:24 PDT 2004

On Sunday, Jun 13, 2004, at 09:46 Canada/Eastern, Jim Davis wrote:

> While we all know that for various reasons, Macs are far more secure
> than PC's to things like viruses, worms, and blind executables.

I shouldn't go so far as that. Let's just say that there's very little
-- almost none -- Mac OS X-specific malware at present.

>  [...] I recently downloaded a program discussed on this list, called
> 'Lil' Snitch', and I must say, I think it's making things a Lil' > buggy.

Would that be Little Snitch
<http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html>? If so, it works
just fine on my machine. Have you tried to get in touch with the
developer?

>  [...] Any alternative suggestions?

None as easy to configure as Little Snitch. There are some powerful
built-in CLI tools (ipfw, netstat) and some third-party ones (e.g.,
PortSentry). BrickHouse is a good GUI for ipfw, but otherwise you must
be comfortable with Terminal to use them effectively.

<0x0192>