[G4] Integratng with home stereo

zhmmy harper zhmmy at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 13 18:06:46 PDT 2004

Why use cdparanoia?
xxxxxxxx

Enlighten us, is cdparanoia a new Stephen King movie?

xxxxxxxx
All CDROM drives are not created equal. You'll need cdparanoia if yours is a
little less equal than others-- or maybe you just keep your CD collection in
a box of full of gravel. Jewel cases are for wimps; you know what I'm
talking about.
xxx

I thought jewel cases were the best thing since the Mason Lid and I don't
believe I'm a wimp.
Yes, your software is for schmucks.

xxxxxxxx
Unfortunately, cdda2wav and readcdda cannot work properly with a large
number of CDROM drives in the desktop world today. The most common problem
is sporadic or regular clicks and pops in the read sample, regardless of
'nsector' or 'overlap' settings.
xxxxxxx

Wonder why Mac people never experience that problem...Last year I made CDs
of some old amateur LP recordings of the Williamsburg U. Choir.  They were
full of clicks and pops that cleaned up very well with Premiere and Peak.
Also Toast Titanium Pro has never failed to give me a playable CD--and I
mean playable on any computer, any car stereo and any Dolby surroundsound.
I have never had to toss a coaster into the trash.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
listening to "drifting" by jimi hendrix. Zero funny noises.
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Yeh, Stevie Ray sounds pretty good too...

xxxxxxxx
  Cdda2wav also cannot do anything about scratches (and they can cause
cdda2wav to break). Cdparanoia is also smarter about probing CDDA support
from SCSI and IDE-SCSI drives; many drives that do not work at all with
cdda2wav, readcdda, tosha, etc, will work just fine with cdparanoia.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Why guess?  Use Mac type software.  Also, why depend entirely on software to
clean up scratches?  Are you against doing some of the editing yourself?

I think we all are attempting to understand the reason for your bitterness.
Do you have to use a MicroHard type machine at work?  If so I know I speak
for all of us in expressing sympathy.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx