[G4] DVD burning..

Mel Krewall mkrewall at mac.com
Mon Jun 14 16:03:49 PDT 2004

To the best of my understanding, in the USA, it is legal via the Fair
Use doctrine to make backups of your media, e.g. record -> cassette, CD
-> CD or hard disk, etc. Because of the Digital Millennium Copyright
Act [DMCA], however, It is illegal to circumvent digital protection
measures like CSS on DVDs. So while it is legal to make a backup of
your DVD, it is illegal to decode it for that purpose. How's that for a
crafty piece of lobbying by Disney, the RIAA and the MPAA.
Mel

"Man blames fate for other accidents, but feels personally responsible
when he makes a hole in one."
~ Author Unknown