[G4] DVD burning..

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Mon Jun 14 16:45:40 PDT 2004

On Monday, Jun 14, 2004, at 19:03 Canada/Eastern, Mel Krewall wrote:

> To the best of my understanding, in the USA, it is legal via the Fair
> Use doctrine to make backups of your media, e.g. record -> cassette,
> CD -> CD or hard disk, etc.

I believe you are entirely wrong. There is in US law no implicit or
explicit fair use permission to make "backup" copies of anything. The
relevant law is available online. See

<http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-fairuse.html>

for a general overview; see

<http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html>

for simple explanation of the doctrine of fair use; and finally, see

<http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107>

for the exact wording of fair use, as codified in US federal statute.
Keep in mind that these apply only to US; the doctrine differs in other
jurisdictions.

<0x0192>