[G4] DVD burning..

zhmmy harper zhmmy at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 14 20:03:03 PDT 2004

Yes, that makes sense to me as well.  Does anyone know personally of anyone
who was prosecuted for making copies of *anything* on their home computer??
Hell, I've got copies of copies of copies so they could probably give me the
chair for my discrepancies.

What is repeated throughout the detailed description (Section 107) is that
if a copy is made for non-profit reasons and does not commercially impair
the copyright owner, that it allowable to archive works you would otherwise
not purchase a second copy of just for archival purposes. This is noted
several times as "the effect of the use upon the potential market for or
value of the copyrighted work". To me, this makes sense.

JR

on 6/14/2004 4:45 PM, Alex at alist at sprint.ca wrote:

 > On Monday, Jun 14, 2004, at 19:03 Canada/Eastern, Mel Krewall wrote:
 >
 >> To the best of my understanding, in the USA, it is legal via the Fair
 >> Use doctrine to make backups of your media, e.g. record -> cassette,
 >> CD -> CD or hard disk, etc.
 >
 > I believe you are entirely wrong. There is in US law no implicit or
 > explicit fair use permission to make "backup" copies of anything. The
 > relevant law is available online. See
 >
 > <http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-fairuse.html>
 >
 > for a general overview; see
 >
 > <http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html>
 >
 > for simple explanation of the doctrine of fair use; and finally, see
 >
 > <http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107>
 >
 > for the exact wording of fair use, as codified in US federal statute.
 > Keep in mind that these apply only to US; the doctrine differs in other
 > jurisdictions.
 >

 > <0x0192>
 >

 > ----------
digest.

 > Small Dog Electronics   http://www.smalldog.com  | Canon Digital Cameras

 > http://www.osxfaq.com

----------
G4ist, a listserv for discussion of everything G4.
FAQ at <http://www.themacintoshguy.com/lists/G4.html>.
Send a message to <G4-DIGEST at themacintoshguy.com> to switch to the digest.

XRouter | Share your DSL or cable modem between multiple computers!
Dr. Bott | Now $139.99      <http://www.drbott.com/prod/xrouter.html>

Dr. Bott LLC   4-port USB Hub in translucent Graphite!
Dr. Bott LLC   <http://www.drbott.com/prod/ghub.html>

Small Dog Electronics   http://www.smalldog.com  | Canon Digital Cameras |
--Quicksilver & refurbished G4's arriving daily! |   and Camcorders!!    |

OS X News, Dr.Mac, Forums, Tutorials, Tips, Hints, FAQ?s -
http://www.osxfaq.com