[G4] iTunes

zhmmy harper zhmmy at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 14 20:08:40 PDT 2004

Sounds like a good reason to stay with MP3.  Just select it in preferences.
Man, watch out for those typos :-)

On Monday, Jun 14, 2004, at 21:06 Canada/Eastern, Robert Hazelrigg wrote:

>It's the file format you MP3 Files where encrypted in. the newer version of
>itunes is ripping your songs in a format that the OS9 version of iTunes
>doesn't read. Such as MP4 or OCG. [...]

Typos?

This is not quite accurate. iTunes 2 (or was 3 the last one for Mac OS 9 --
I don't remember) can play MP3 files encoded (_not_ encrypted) in iTunes 4;
however, only iTunes 4 or later can play files encoded in AAC (which is the
same thing as M4A). Moreover, files downloaded from the iTunes Music Store
are copyright-protected, and can only be played on authorized computers. See
Apple KB articles ID 93071 and 150345.