[G4] DVD burning..

sr ferenczy srf7425 at rit.edu
Tue Jun 15 09:42:39 PDT 2004

yes, a few years ago, prior to the big international sting-forget which
one- (ah, arresting college students, has always happened, and never
will cease)  3 of my floor mates went down for having hotline servers,
btwn the 3 of them, they have about 1 TB or so of copyright-infringing
material. all in all, it ended fairly meekly, though with a lot of
pressure from the school, family, etc. none of the 3 were allowed to
own a computer for some probation period, they all spent a couple
nights in jail, had to say big apologies and had about a $10,000 fine
btwn the three of them.

suffice it to say, the institute was pissed, but not at the students.
the feds did this whole sting type operation without the school's
knowledge, and the school's stance has always (quietly) been "dont do
anything illegal, but this hands on experience IS great for our
students, so we are very hands off"

sandor