[G4] Help: can't read internal CD drive

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Wed Jun 16 10:41:26 PDT 2004

On Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004, at 19:29 Canada/Eastern, Eytan Bercovitch
wrote:

> [...] I've noticed that my internal CD drive has stopped
> reading/recognizing CD disks when they are put in the internal drive.
> [...] I am running MacOSX 10.2.8.  I am running on a 400mz G4 of the
> Yikes (PCI) model with 728 mg RAM. [...] When I restart in OS 9.2
> (which is also on my hard disk) the internal CD works fine, and reads
> disks normally.

Let's take this methodically. It sounds like the symptom is that Finder
doesn't mount CDs. Since the symptom is OS X-only, it's not likely to
be a hardware issue.

First, and most important question: When did it happen? After
installing some new software? Installing or connecting some new
hardware? After a crash, power blackout,... meteor strike?

Second, does this apply to any kind of discs? Have you tried different
physical formats (CD-ROM/CD-R/CD-RW) and logical formats (blank, Mac,
PC, audio)?

Third, you say you ran Disk Utility. What do you mean? DU doesn't see
the CD? (It should.) You tried to use DU to repair the boot volume?
(Can't be done -- DU cannot verify or repair the boot volume.) You
tried to use DU to repair permissions? (Good idea, even if it may not
help.)

What to do next depends on the answers to these questions. But there
two further things to check. First, as Mike asked you, to verify if
Apple System Profiler sees the drive under OS X. (Check under the
Devices and Volumes tab, and see what ASP reports for it in the Bus
section. Click the triangle for full info.) Quickest way to launch it:
[Apple Menu] > About This Mac > More Info... Second, verify if your Mac
can boot in OS X from the OS X install CD. If yes, use the install
version of Disk Utility to verify/repair your hard disk. (However, do
not use it to repair permissions on the hard disk.)

<0x0192>
  [...]