[G4] Random Shutdowns

zhmmy harper zhmmy at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 20 08:55:50 PDT 2004

I think I would suspect the UPS first.  A power surge could have fried a
diode.  Plug your computer directly into the wall and see if it still does
it.  How old is your UPS?  The battery needs replaced periodically just like
a car.

Last Sunday night, our neighborhood suddenly lost power for 8 hours. Since
then, my G4 desktop has been randomly shutting down. No panics but just
power off.

I have replaced the internal battery and reset the PMU.

Any other ideas?

BTW, the computer is connected through a powerful UPS device.

Thanks

David