Memory upgrade

barry sjmug at mac.com
Sun Jun 20 10:47:18 PDT 2004

> I am thinking about adding some memory to my G4/400 Gigabit Mac.  I
> currently have 2-256 MB sticks of PC 100 RAM in it.  I would like to
> add another 256 to it.  While I was checking TigerDirect.com, I noticed
> that the PC133 is quite a bit cheaper than the PC 100.  Will the PC 133
> work in my Mac?

yes.

> If so, would there be a problem mixing the two different kinds?

nope.  i have mixed PC100 & PC133 sticks at mixed RAM sizes running fine on
my G4/400 AGP.  but under Apple System Profiler (OS 9.0) it reads all the
sticks as PC100!

> why is the PC 133 so much cheaper?

probably because the PC133 is the newer and faster chip and backward
compatible with the PC100, so manufacturers have switched most production to
the PC133's now.

why not add a 512MB stick, or two 256MB sticks?  you can never have too much
memory....

--barry
http://www.NationwideCashFlowSolutions.com or www.WeirdFinance.com
alternative financing options for U.S.
businesses, professionals, individuals, & non-profit organizations