[G4] OS 10.2.8 Update

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Thu Jun 24 07:36:36 PDT 2004

On Thursday, Jun 24, 2004, at 00:40 Canada/Eastern, Anne Keller-Smith
wrote:

> Just a little confused about what to update when and how.
>  [...] I want to update to OS 10.2.8.
>
> I went to
> http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosxupdate_10_2_8.html
> and downloaded the 10.2.8 update. [...] Then I went to System
> Preferences->Software Update and it said "Last Check:
> Software Update ran successfully. Thursday, June 24, 2004." [...]

The confusion comes from not following orders, soldier!

You can install upgrades in two different ways. You can download them
yourself from Apple and install them, privatim et seriatim. Note:
install them -- just downloading them on your machine doesn't
automatically install them.

Or, you can just let Software Update do its job. SU checks your system
version, checks what updates are already installed (by looking in
/Library/Receipts/), compares the result to a list it gets from Apple,
and then proceeds to download and install what's needed. But SU can't
and doesn't make a record of what updates you downloaded.

It seems to me that in your situation it's best to follow instructions
and just let SU do its job. If you don't have broadband, it'll take a
long time -- but that's the way the cookie crumbles...

<0x0192>