[G4] Upgraded Processor, Memo !

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Thu Jun 24 10:33:30 PDT 2004

On Thursday, June 24, 2004, at 12:19  PM, k s d wrote:

> hmmmm... I really NEED to do something very soon, and a new G5 is
> financially out of the question for me at the moment. I have a G4
> 450MP with 1gig of ram, Sonnet Tempo ATA133 card, and 3 harddrives...
> I'm still using the (practically junk) stock ATI 128 video card.
> How much total are you planning to spend when you're done with your
> upgrade? What kinds of applications do you use (besides iTunes)? I'm
> concerned about potential problems with the processor upgrades and
> applications I use on a daily basis, i.e. Photoshop, Illustrator,
> Pagemaker.. Any stability problems with Classic?
> Sorry for the multitude of questions..
> Thanks,
> Kevin

Well  have two self-upgraded machines, and for the most part it works
flawlessly.
In my Quicksilver 2001, I have replaced the cpu with and OWC 1.26 g .
Works good at 1.2 g bad at 1.33 g. Since the 1.33 is an overclock
(unsupported) I am stuck with 1.2. (only problem)
I also replaced the GeForce2 with a GeForce 4 and  the superdrive from
a 103 to a 105. They all work splendidly.
  I have also put a G4 at 700mhz into my 9600.
Orangelink firewire USB
Apple 100 base T ethernet..
Radeon 7000
CDR (Yamaha)
and digidesign digi001.
This machine with a couple of hacks is running 10.2.8 and 9.2.2 really
well with zero crashes.
  So it does work . Nothing to fear.
Jim