[G4] running word on osX and os9.

Poyom Riles dorjemerlin at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 26 13:35:20 PDT 2004

> What does "unreadable" mean? They copy filename.doc to their machine,
> double-click on it, and Word doesn't launch? It launches but says
> "unknown file format"? It launches, loads the file, but it appears to
> contain only garbage? etc.

I am not sure what unreadable means. I think when they try to open the
files word opens them but they contain garbage. But as I said I haven't
had the trouble only people who I have sent files to.

> RTF is a fairly basic exchange format. If RTF is enough, then you've
> wasted your money on Word, because it doesn't preserve even some basic
> word processing features, such as styles.

Thats what I thought about the RTF files but when I save a word
document as RTF and open it up in MS Word X or MS Word XP all of the
formating (everything including tables and tracked changes)  is
preserved. That is of course only if it is opened in Word. If you open
it in Notebook or Text edit all of the formating is lost (as expected).

I don't know why this works but it does. So far there have been no
problems exchanging files in this way. But it makes me nervous. I worry
that something may come up that we just haven't tried yet, and every
once in a while someone tries to open the rtf in notebook and they say
they can't read the file - and it just takes extra time to explain to
them how to open it in word. Of course I can open all of the MS XP DOC
files.

Poyom