[G4] running word on osX and os9.

Joseph B. Gurman gurman at gsfc.nasa.gov
Sat Jun 26 06:43:56 PDT 2004

     "hec" wrote:

>i am hoping to get some help from the collective wisdom of the group. i have
>a mdd dual 867 with os 10.2.8 and 9.2.2   i use os 9.2.2 alot because i have
>not been able to upgrade all my software.  recently i obtained and installed
>ms office X and now office 2001 on the os 9.2.2 is not accessible to me.
>many of my clients use older versions of word and office and i need to be
>able to exchange docmuments with them.  is there away that i can get my
>older version of ms office to work in os 9.2.2?

and:

>office 2001 still has icons in 9.2.2 but when i open a program, eg.
>word, i get a different screen and cannot open any of my documents.
>word acts like there are no word docs on my drive.

     I would suggest rebuilding the OS 9 Desktop, also possible in OS
X via the Classic Preference panel (via the Advanced tab; click the
Rebuild Desktop button at the bottom).

     Since you want eventually to use OS X only (really, you do), you
might also try opening Word v.X, going to Preferences ->
Compatibility, and using the pull-down menu to select the
compatibility set most appropriate for your clients' documents. The
default is "Word 2000-2002 and X," but there are several others.

     Meanwhile, "zhmmy harper" wrote:

>As I understand, Bill Gates got ticked at Apple for introducing Appleworks,
>thus cutting some of the MS profits.  So MS is not going to provide any
>further Mac programs (as I understand).

     Bzzzzzzt. Wrong.

     The Microsoft Mac Business unit figured there was no reason
continuing Internet Explorer development for the Mac (they hardly do
any back in Redmond on the Windows, so no great loss), but they've
come out with Office 2004. Rumor has it they may even come out with a
spiffy, new version of Virtual PC that will actually run a G5
sometime.... maybe late this year.... or maybe later.... or sometime.

						Joe Gurman
--
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."
                                                             - Douglas

Joseph B. Gurman, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Solar Physics
Branch, Greenbelt MD 20771 USA