[G4] tv on a G4

Mel Krewall mkrewall at mac.com
Wed Mar 10 16:01:46 PST 2004

I currently have the EyeTV that I bought after considering the Miglia
Alchemy and the Meilenstein Televio TV cards. There are quite a few
reports on the EyeTV and the Alchemy card on www.xlr8yourmac.com. I
bought the EyeTV primarily based on reports there that the Alchemy
card's software is still not very stable and some of the features are
still marginal. This is similar to what reports were on the EyeTV when
it came out a couple of years ago. It is probable that the Alchemy card
has better video (although I have not seen it), but for my purposes I
don't need high quality as I will not be recording or editing/archiving
the programs. I will mostly only use it to watch sports in the evenings
as I work/play on my Mac. The EyeTV software is quite stable and useful
and the package I bought on eBay included the Keyspan remote, which has
been handy not only for the EyeTV but for iTunes as well.
There are significant differences in the stored video format between
the EyeTV and the Alchemy card which also might have a bearing on what
you would choose, although again, it was not a deciding factor in my
purchase.
In looking at the MyTV product, I'm not sure it's OS X native, which
for me would have been a non-starter.

Hope this helps,
Mel

"Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty."
  ~ Harry Vardon