WD200EB disk in Mac G4 MDD

Steven steven at sifre.nl
Wed Mar 10 16:33:10 PST 2004

Hello,
I installed a 20 gig Western Digital WD200EB drive
<http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=13> in a G4MDD in
the front bay.

I formatted the disk and the volume mounts. I can read/write. But soon I
found it is behaving erratically. Sometimes when writing a large chunk
of data to it it seemed get stuck, the files on the disk seemed to
disappear and sometimes the disk would disappear altogether. Restarting
would not get the disk to mount. Shutting down and starting up again
would bring the disk back with all the files on it. Now it is making
irregular clicking noises.

Now I'm wondering, is this a type of disk I can't use in this Mac or is
the drive having problems of itself? Or is something else going on? Any
advise appreciated.

greetings,

Steven

steven at sifre.nl