[G4] "Upgrade" from OSX to 9.2

Ron Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Sun Mar 14 01:44:45 PST 2004

Don,

YES!

If you go to "download.com" (without the quotations) and search the
system software section  (Drivers & OS Updates - click on System
Updates) for the upgrade files, you can download version 9.1 and use it
to upgrade your current OS version so that it will be compatible with
the software you want to install.

If I remember correctly from your earlier post, you do have at least
version 9.0 installed. From that version, you can do the upgrades to
later versions of OS 9, all the way to 9.2.2 if you want. I recommend
doing the upgrade up to 9.2.2 as I think it is more stable than the
earlier OS 9 versions.

When I first installed OS-X in my G4, it was a simple install from the
system CDs to put both OS-9 and OS-X on the hard drive. I never had to
wipe anything when I did the upgrades to later versions, so I don't
know why your friend is telling you to wipe OS-X first. It sounds like
he is a PC user.

 From my experiences, simply download the upgrade and run it from the
expanded file that you will find where you normally put your downloaded
files. It will install right over the original OS version and give you
some added functionalities and improvements.

You could also consider upgrading your OS-X to version 10.3.2 but I
suggest at least a DSL connection for that or you will be downloading
for a while.

Good luck,

Ron