Fix for Image Spam?

barry sjmug at mac.com
Thu Mar 25 12:39:11 PST 2004

> Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 21:56:21 -0500
> From: Anne Keller-Smith <earthpigz at earthlink.net>
> Subject: [G4] Fix for Image Spam?
>
> I have an increasing problem with all kinds of spam-ish images
> just appearing on my desktop. They are email attachments, mostly.
> Some are real spam, some sent by well-meaning friends who have
> humourous bits with images.
>
> Any way to scotch these from downloading? I now have about 25
> gifs of various sorts sitting on my desktop, all from one email download.

and later [Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 00:01:55 -0500] she replied:

> I'm using an old Eudora that doesn't display images in body of the text, but
> I imagine if I were to turn off html mail in Apple's Mail, it would come to
> the same thing. The images would download separately, and show up on the
> desktop.
>
> It just seems there are more of them than there used to be. And it would
> seem that any of us on this list (which does not allow html mail) would
> experience the same problem, regardless of which email client they were
> using.
>
> Actually, I will still have a problem (maybe a bigger one) if I find a way
> to prevent them from downloading, because then they will remain on the
> Earthlink server and I will have to delete them using Web Mail (ukh - gah!)

> ------------------------------
>
> From: Robert Meadors <rmeadors at mac.com>
> Subject: Re: [G4] Fix for Image Spam?
> Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 20:31:29 -0800
>
> I'm having the same problem. Would be good to find a solution. I can't
> even figure out where they are coming from. Nothing is there then
> suddenly, there's about 5 of em.

anne posted this question before and i replied with a work around, she
responded, i replied, and that was the end of that thread.  my replies were
quite lengthly so i won't repeat them here, but they'd be in the list
archives.

her original post:

Power Macintosh G4 List Digest #2530
11) Images D/L on desktop
>Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:23:13 -0500
>From: Anne Keller-Smith <earthpigz at earthlink.net>
>Subject: [G4] Images D/L on desktop
>
>Is there any way to keep images from downloading on my desktop from junk
>email? They are tiny little gifs, seem to be parts of animation that might
>play in html mail (which I never bothered with). They're annoying - I might
>get 15 of these pesky things, labeled "Picture 1.pdf" "Picture 2.pdf" and so
>on.

[they probably are not .pdf's but .gif's or .jpg's.]

my reply was in Power Macintosh G4 List Digest #2533
2) Re: Images D/L on desktop
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 18:28:34 -0500
her reply was
10) Re: Images D/L on desktop
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 23:14:27 -0500

followed by
Power Macintosh G4 List Digest #2534
3) Re: Images D/L on desktop -- my post, and the end of the thread.
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 03:32:41 -0500

to refresh everyone's memory, i suggested opening her most spam prone email
accounts at http://www.mail2web.com , clean out the spam there, then
download mail via eudora as usual.

i just sent a note to anne off list about earthlink's webmail program and
its new free antispam and anti virus options.  any other earthlink users on
the list who are not familiar with these 2 features just hollar.

--barry
http://www.NationwideCashFlowSolutions.com
alternative financing options for U.S.
businesses, professionals, individuals, & non-profit organizations